Breakpoint ignored.

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Breakpoint ignored.
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 04:55:52 +0200

I´m trying to debug bug 3681: using a USA keyboard with alt-intl
variant, when a composed character such as á is typed with
blink-cursor-mode off, the character is not displayed until another
character is typed. (When blink-cursor-mode is on the character is
displayed after the cursor blinks).

This affects emacs when running on X.

C-h k á says `self-insert-command' is invoked, wich is a built-in
function. So I follow the link to the source code to learn that the C
function is Fself_insert_command, then invoke emacs and set a breakpoint
on it, but gdb does not stop when a character is typed (and displayed),
as if no breakpoint was active.

What I'm missing?

address@hidden:~/dev/other/emacs/src$ gdb --args ./emacs -q --no-site-file
--no-splash
GNU gdb 6.8-debian
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu"...
SIGINT is used by the debugger.
Are you sure you want to change it? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from
terminal]
DISPLAY = :0
TERM = xterm
Breakpoint 1 at 0x4caab0: file emacs.c, line 430.
Breakpoint 2 at 0x4ea8a0: file sysdep.c, line 1129.
(gdb) break Fself_insert_command
Breakpoint 3 at 0x50b060: file cmds.c, line 331.
(gdb) r
Starting program: /home/oscar/dev/other/emacs/src/emacs -q --no-site-file
--no-splash
[New Thread 0x7fcea7e26740 (LWP 4731)]

--
Óscar