Re: Customizing the mode line

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Customizing the mode line
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 04:28:32 -0500

The basic way to customize the mode line is by setting the variables
that control it.  It is not terribly hard.

The more important issue is that helping users customize the mode line
is not vitally important, as things go.  If we made customizing the
mode line much easier, Emacs would not be significantly more useful as
a result.

Let's do the things that really make Emacs more useful.

For instance, a lot of work has been done on MuMaMo.  Perhaps we
should get that installed now.  Or perhaps we should use one of the
other programs that do this job, or a combination.