Re: FFAP

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: FFAP
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 06:45:45 +0200

>> When I added a few find-file related functions to ffap,
>> I don't remember why I missed `find-file-literally'.
>> Maybe because it has no keybinding (should we try to find one?).
>> So we definitely need such a function.
>
> BTW, I'd be interested in trying to integrate the FFAP behavior into the
> default find-file behavior.  If you people have ideas how such an
> integration could take place, I'm all ears (of course, backward
> compatibility with older users is very important).

I had an idea for a long time how to do such an integration, but
not implemented it yet because I currently don't see how to do this
without loading the whole ffap.el by default.  Perhaps we should
rewrite most of the ffap functionality and simplify it.

The idea is to put a file/URL from the text around the point into
the minibuffer's default values list.  So typing `C-x C-f M-n'
on a file name will bring in it from the current buffer into the
minibuffer.  This is useful for all prompts that read files or
directories.  For instance, `M-x mkdir RET M-n' will try to fetch
the directory name from the current buffer, and so on.

> Or maybe we could have a keybinding in
> minibuffer-local-filename-completion-map to bring in the
> filename-at-point.

`M-n' is such a binding that users are already familiar with.
If it turns out that it's unsuitable, we could invent a new one.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/