unfill-paragraph(region) is different in GNU emacs and xemacs (was: unfi

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: unfill-paragraph(region) is different in GNU emacs and xemacs (was: unfill-paragraph (region) and indentation, )
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 11:01:28 +0100

   > It depends on the definition of what is a paragraph, so it depends on
   > paragraph-start and paragraph-separate.

It should not since the unfilling function should (also) act on the region.

   > But FWIW, I can't reporduce the behavior you describe in
   > fundamental-mode in Emacs-23.1.

Right, as I will describe below indeed the basic unfill functions behave
*differently*  in GNU emacs (I used Emacs 22.3) and Xemacs (21.4.22 Mule), so
I will also CC to xemacs beta, which seems to be the better place to
continue the discussion.

   >         Stefan

   >    (let ((fill-column 9999999)) (fill-region (point) (mark)))

   > However Uwe's sample code uses the function "filladapt-mode", which I
   > don't seem to have, and can't seem to load by doing (load-library
   > "filladapt") or (load-library "filladapt-mode"); is it an external
   > library?  If so, maybe Uwe's problem lies there...

No it does not surprise, it is Xemacs filling function itself with
behaves different.

The following I did with
emacs -q (GNU emacs 21.3)
and
xemacs -vanilla (Xemacs 21.4.22 Mule)

In both cases I set the  fill-column to 10000000 and called.

GNU emacs (fill-paragraph)

Xemacs (fill-paragraph-or-region)

The example is (a buffer in fundamental mode)

See http://front.math.ucdavis.edu/ for a math specific front-end
         or point your web browser at http://arxiv.org/ for the generic
front-end.
         We consider ballistic aggregation equation for gases in which each
particle
         is either by its mass and impulsion or by its sole impulsion. For
         the constant aggregation rate we prove existence of self-similar
solutions as
         well as convergence to the self-similarity for generic solutions. For
some
         classes of mass and/or impulsion dependent rates we are also able to
estimate
         the large time decay of some moments of generic solutions or to build
some new
         classes of self-similar solutions.

A text which has indentation.

GNU emacs filled the line as expected Xemacs did not.

The behavior of both filling functions was identical if the text had no
indentation!

Could somebody from the Xemacs dev team comment on this?

thanks

Uwe Brauer