Re: bzr repository ready?

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: bzr repository ready?
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 23:16:34 -0500

Jason Earl <address@hidden> writes:
> I am sorry that it has taken me so long to respond to this thread.
>
> I have just finished uploading good versions of the repository.  If I
> had access to fencepost.gnu.org I would check them against what Andreas
> has, but I do not think I have access.
>
> In particular I would like to say that any repositories with the word
> "jason" in the filename are definitely not good, and if your repository
> (that you got from bzr.notengoamigos.org) is older than this email
> message then it likewise isn't good.
>
> The repositories can be found at:
>
> http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs-merges.tar.gz
> or
> http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs-merges.tar.lzma

Great, thank you!

Anyone know how we typically get these on Savannah (so we can test with
Loggerhead too)?  Do we just file a ticket?

> Assuming that Andreas used a version of fastimport that included Max
> Bowsher's recent patch then the output should be functionally identical
> to my repos.
>
> To be honest, it is probably better to have Andreas run the test
> conversions from here on out.  I have been helpful shushing out bugs and
> doing the odd bit of testing, but Andreas knows a lot more about this
> stuff than I do, and he's already doing the tricky bits in the git
> conversion.
>
> As I said before, I certainly do not want to become a bottleneck.
>
> I have just about finished scripting my conversion process and so I will
> keep building updated repositories, but if Andreas wants to use the repo
> on fencepost to do the final testing then that's probably a good idea.

Well, I think the most useful thing we can do is all agree right now on
which repository we're testing, so no one wastes time.

As of right now, your repositories (the ones you just posted) are the
most recent ones -- you converted with a very recent bzr fastimport that
included Max's recent patches, and presumably you converted *from* a
very recent git repository that in turn is from recent CVS sources.

>From this point forward, if you and Andreas can coordinate and post
exactly one conversion at a time, that would help keep the chaos level
down, I think.  More conversions is not better at this stage -- we
should be aiming for canonicality.  (Does that sound right?)

So, right now I'm downloading

  http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs-merges.tar.lzma

and I will test that.  I encourage everyone else to do the same, and to
report bugs in that conversion and no other.  Andreas, your conversion
method is now exactly the same as Jason's, right?  That is, you're both
using the lastest bzr fastimport on the latest Git repos?

If we find no problems with this conversion, then hopefully it will be
pretty quick for Andreas to go from latest CVS->Git->Bzr, so we can do
the real conversion and finally finish this switchover.

> I have made some changes to my email setup that should hopefully allow
> this to arrive safely on emacs-devel, but if not, I would appreciate it
> if someone (Karl) could forward it.

You seem to have fixed it, congrats!

-Karl