AW: AW: AW: Tabs in Emacs?

From: Berndl, Klaus
Subject: AW: AW: AW: Tabs in Emacs?
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:19:01 +0100

Well - "argh" is well spoken ;-)

Another suggestion, or precisely a refined suggestion:

1. Introducing new commands which represents your scenario where opening a new
buffer opens a new tab (e.g. find-file-other-tab, switch-to-buffer-other-tab,
adapting display-buffer in an appropriate manner etc...) Optionally we could
also introduce some new defcustoms which can define a default-behavior: e.g.
using the standard window-related commands (e.g. find-file-other-window)
automatically opens/uses other tabs ...

2. But in general tabs represent window-configs and leaving a tab X stores ist
window-config in a suitable way so it can be restored when entering again tab X
- all this has to be happen automatically! Often the window-config will only
contain one window...

So when a user wants the tab=buffer relation, he has it - he just has to use
Emacs in way so opening buffers and switching to buffers operates on tabs (see
1) - but the whole stuff is much more powerful for scenarios where a tab
contains a full window-config. The latter one is similar to something like
escreen.el and winring.el and could be usefol for running in one tab ECB, in
another Gnus, in another GUD - like eclipse...

Thoughts?