Re: bzr repository ready?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bzr repository ready?
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 14:31:23 +0200

> From: Óscar_Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 01:53:44 +0100
>
> For large compiled projects such as Emacs, the use of feature branches
> is not that great. First, building takes a long time.

Why does the building take a long time in that case?

> Second, it imposes a large penalty on those who just want to hack
> some elisp.

What penalty is that?

> Maybe a system based on `bzr switch' is the solution for Emacs,
> although it is not so simple to understand as feature branches. For
> the diehard CVS users, beginning with a single work branch is the
> solution. `bzr shelve' would help them

I'd appreciate some more details on that.  It's hard to make up your
mind about the usage patterns with so many new factors being
introduced in ever sentence without any explanations.  (And yes, I did
read the Bazaar User Reference for these two commands, but it's just
awful: "bzr shelve" does not describe its argument FILE, "bzr switch"
does not tell what is its argument TO_LOCATION, etc.  The User Guide
helps a bit, but you cannot search in it, at least not in the on-line
version.)