Re: Case mapping of sharp s

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Case mapping of sharp s
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:30:27 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> writes:

> You'd have to ask Ken'ichi Handa for the exact date and
> whether he was aware of FSS-UTF and such techniques when the Mule
> encoding was designed.

Actually, the original design of Mule encoding was by RMS.
When I visited MIT to discuss how to integrate the facility
of Nemacs (Japanized version of Emacs) into Emacs, he
explained the idea of using 0x80..0x9F for leading bytes.
Based on it, I implented Mule, and then it is integrated
into Emacs.  I don't remember exact date of that visit;
perhaps 1990 or 1991, but I'm sure I've never heard about
FSS-UTF at that time.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden