Re: Cygwin patches

From: Ken Brown
Subject: Re: Cygwin patches
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 14:50:12 -0500

On 11/22/2009 9:09 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
On 11/22/2009 8:50 PM, Chong Yidong wrote:
Ken Brown <address@hidden> writes:

So are you saying that "file:" (with no slashes) is added by design?
It doesn't work for me.  (After the call to cygpath, I have a path of
the form C:/blah/blah/blah.html; I need to add "file://", since
otherwise only "file:" gets added and I don't have a valid URL.)

Does this change (instead of the other patches we've been considering)
do the right thing on Cygwin?

No. It still just adds "file:" to the windows path I get after the call to cygpath. And I can't omit the call to cygpath; if I do that, I'll have a URL with the right number of slashes, but it won't be one that the Windows browser will understand.

On the other hand, if we adopt part of the patch that Lennart proposed in

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2009-11/msg00343.html

then it does work on cygwin. And, I gather from Lennart's post, this also solves a problem on Windows. The combined patch is attached. [I've also taken the opportunity to make a slight improvement in browse-url-default-windows-browser by using call-process instead of shell-command.]

Does this look OK?

Ken