Re: Proposal to use usertags rather than packages on debbugs.gnu.org

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Proposal to use usertags rather than packages on debbugs.gnu.org
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 16:21:38 -0500

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> That's not great.  How 'bout just:
>
>    usertags 1234 calendar
>
> where some default `user' is used if missing?

At present, it will use whatever email address the control message
came from. If you change this, it's a (minor) incompatible change with
the way a standard debbugs installation works. It's probably doable,
but also this is something that would make it harder for non-Emacs
packages to use debbugs.gnu.org.

> Or at least use a `user' that's less error-prone, like
>
>    user emacs
>    usertags 1234 calendar

I think that would be an easy hack to debbugs, yes.
(just relax is_valid_user in Debbugs/User.pm ?)

> I'd also like to be able to see something like "all bugs except those
> with tag gnus/calendar/cedet/w32/ns".

Doesn't that Just Work at present?

Here is an example that returns a short search result, so as not to
overwhelm the server:

http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?exclude=tags%3Awontfix;package=gnus

> IIUC this doesn't work on the current debbugs but only on the future
> debbugs.gnu.org, right?

I think usertags don't work on the current server, yes.
(By default, debbugs fails to create the necessary directory to store
the usertags, so just silently fails to store them. I had to make the
directories by hand first.)