Re: faster unicode character name completion

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: faster unicode character name completion
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 22:28:44 +0200

> But I have a better idea: most of the time is not spent building the
> completion table, but rather just weeding out all the "chars" that don't
> have names, or should I say, looking for the few rare chars that do
> have a name.
>
> So the patch below seems to eb a good compromise: it uses up just about
> 1000K cons cells (i.e. 16KB on 64bit systems) to keep the precomputed
> set of ~34K chars that do have a name, so that building the completion
> table takes only a couple seconds.

Before this change building the completion table took 10s, now only 2s.
The size was 88,203, now 91,595.  I think it's a reasonable price for
such a speedup.

BTW, a related problem: it would be better to hide old obsolete Unicode
names to not advertise them, but still allow completions on them.
For instance, duplicate names such as

  name: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH ACUTE
  old-name: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A ACUTE

add too much noise.  Maybe to use the same approach as used for
`completion-ignored-extensions', i.e. to ignore old names, but don't
ignore if all possible completions end in one of them.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/