Re: Trouble building against Emacs23 OSX

From: Steve Revilak
Subject: Re: Trouble building against Emacs23 OSX
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:06:16 -0500

Warning: Could not find simple.el nor simple.elc
Cannot open load file: cl
configure: error: Process couldn't proceed.  See the above messages.

Could you try to set the appropriate environment variable rather than creating
a symlink into the application bundle?

Usually, it is something like

export EMACS=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs

There is another strategy that I've found helpful for OS X.  I have a
one-line shell script installed as
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacs:

  $ cat /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacs
  #!/bin/sh
  exec /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -nw "$@"

Then, I prepend /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin to PATH.

With these two steps, you should be able to build any extra lisp
packages "out of the box", and you'll get the correct versions of
helper programs like emacsclient and etags.

When you want to run emacs as a windowed application, use
"open /Applications/Emacs.app".  Open will propagate your shell's
environment to the windowed emacs.

Steve