Re: Bug tracker change tomorrow

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Bug tracker change tomorrow
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 15:18:03 -0500

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
> We'll be moving the bug tracker from emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com to
> debbugs.gnu.org tomorrow (Thursday Dec 16).  After the switch, the
> emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com domain will redirect to debbugs.gnu.org, so
> the transition will hopefully be seamless.  I will send another email to
> this list once everything seems to be running fine.

I realize this has been discussed before now, and that I should have
made this comment earlier, but:

"debbugs.gnu.org" is confusing name, because it implies we are tracking
Debian bugs, when in reality, it's just the name of the bugtracker
software -- like "bugzilla.gnu.org" or "cvs.gnu.org" or whatever.  (But
in those cases, there isn't another entity in the namespace already.)

If we called it "bugs.gnu.org" instead, then the FQDN can stay the same
even if the software behind it changes, and we wouldn't cause people to
mistakenly think it holds Debian GNU/Linux bugs.

-Karl