Emacs debugging advice (for bug 5208)

From: Steve Revilak
Subject: Emacs debugging advice (for bug 5208)
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 21:31:49 -0500

I'm trying to debug
<http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=5208>.  I've made some
progress, but I think I've reached a point where I need to ask for
advice.  Bug 5208 appears to be a Mac OS X-specific issue, where
symbols offered by gud-gdb-complete-command have a ^M appended.

Things I've observed so far

  - I've traced the existence of the ^M's down through
    gud-gdb-complete-command, gud-gdb-run-command-fetch-lines, and
    gud-gdb-fetch-lines-filter.  The lowest level I see them is in the
    return value of accept-process-output.

  - accept-process-output is a C function.  I spent a while trying to
use gud-gdb to debug another emacs process running gud-gdb. Given my lack of familiarity with Emacs C code, I didn't make much
    progress there.

  - If one uses gud-gdb-complete-command *before* giving the gdb "run"
    command, then there are no ^M's in the completion output.  The
    ^M's only appear after you've given the "run" command to gdb.

  - Used outside of emacs, ^M's do not appear in "complete" output
    from Mac OS X's gdb.  (Or, at least I have not been able to
    produce by running gdb directly.)

Can any of you suggest a likely place to look next?

Thanks in advance.

Steve