Request to increase default value of line-number-display-limit-width to

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Request to increase default value of line-number-display-limit-width to 24 K
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 21:43:07 +0100

Hello!

I wondered today once more why the mode-line of a *compilation* buffer with column-number-mode on showed "??" as line number. A discussion on the Help-gnu-emacs list with Eli Zaretskii revealed:

The code seems to remember that a window had long lines, and once that
happens, this window will not have line numbers, until you switch to
another buffer.

This buffer switching did not enable the line numbers, maybe because of only changing between two buffers in the same frame. Meanwhile, having line-number-display-limit-width increased to an insane value of 62,500 the line numbers counter works continuously. A new default value of 24 K should be OK – this is the maximal line length I almost encountered while compiling QT4. The line counter seems efficient enough that I did not encounter any loss in the speed of compilation or more heat produced by the CPU of my portable.

Up-to-date shell interpreters support command line lengths of 64 K, maybe even 128 K, to support software like QT4 or GTK+2 or based on these, so GNU Emacs should also update.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Upgraded, adj.: