Re: Workflow to accumulate individual changes?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Workflow to accumulate individual changes?
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 05:11:23 -0500

> From: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 10:21:05 +0100
> Cc: Giorgos Keramidas <address@hidden>,
>       Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> ChangeLog entries and commit messages serve a different purpose.
> ChangeLog entries describe the "physical" changes, a commit message the
> "logical" change.  That is, the commit message describes the changeset
> on a higher level than the ChangeLog entries.  As such it does not make
> sense to repeat the ChangeLog entries in the commit message.

I agree with the principle (and I think most, if not all, of others do
as well).  But what does this mean in practice?  Are you suggesting
that the commit message should not mention the changes in individual
files at all, just the general idea?

If that's not what you suggest, i.e. if changes in individual files
_should_ be mentioned, it will be very hard to resist the temptation
of copying the ChangeLog entries, perhaps _in_addition_to_ the
high-level description that we already asked to provide, a couple of
weeks ago.