Re: Workflow to accumulate individual changes?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Workflow to accumulate individual changes?
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 13:37:10 +0100

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 11:44, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> Me neither.  I'm talking about the rest of the reasons, which _are_
> described in detail.

Please! The document does not show real arguments against rebase, just
"questions about the necessity of rebasing in typical workflows", from
the perspective of people who do not have or like rebase. For the
opposite perspective, just look for a few happy git users.

> I don't know anything about git, so I cannot talk about this.  Just
> remember that Stephen pointed to a posting by Linus who very
> eloquently explained how rebasing is a bad idea in at least one
> situation.

Of course. Every user of rebase knows that: you shouldn't rebase a
public branch (and even that is OK in cases where the users know that
rebasing will be done). But here we were discussing *private*
rebasing.

> If ChangeLog maintenance is such a big problem, I think we should
> resolve it here and now.  Otherwise, it's a tail wagging the dog.

Not a big problem, a small but repeated inconvencience.

> IOW, what annoys Juanma Barranquero, will probably annoy a few more,
> so I would not dismiss that as Juanma's private problems whose
> solution concerns no one but Juanma ;-)

Well, I can agree with that if you can agree that perhaps rebase
*could be* the best fix after all... ;-)

    Juanma