off-topic: `virtual' files

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: off-topic: `virtual' files
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 16:05:09 +0100 (CET)

Folks,

my question is completely off-topic; please reply privately to not
pollute this list.  Reason for asking here is that I have absolutely
no idea where I shall ask, and searching in the internet didn't yield
anything of relevance.

Sometimes I'm downloading big files which have been split into chunks,
say, a 1GByte file into ten chunks with 100MByte each.  Currently, I
have to concatenate all files into a new file to be able to access it
as a whole.  I now wonder whether it is possible to group these chunks
into a virtual file (similar to virtual file systems), avoiding this
copying.  BTW, I'm using a GNU/Linux box.

    Werner