RE: "Warning: `save-excursion' defeated by `set-buffer'" madness

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: "Warning: `save-excursion' defeated by `set-buffer'" madness
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:56:56 -0800

> Good, so the code that triggers the warning is in bbdb-com.el.
> But the code that runs the byte-compiler (and hence causes those
> harmless/informative warnings to turn into annoying windows
> popping up) is in advice.el.
>
> I've just installed the patch below which should fix your problem.

I would have thought that you would consider this annoyance to be a feature,
drawing attention as it does so well to code that you consider worth warning
about. ;-)

So now, to suppress this one annoyance, you've removed all byte-compiler
warnings for byte-compiling advice. I don't necessarily disagree, but are you
sure that's TRT? Should this perhaps be configurable by users of advice (e.g.
defadvice)? (Dunno.)