libxpm-3.5.7-w32-src package on website

From: Christoph
Subject: libxpm-3.5.7-w32-src package on website
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 19:58:26 -0700

I was trying to compile Emacs Pretest 23.1.92 on Windows with the libxpm-3.5.7-w32-src from the website and configure always showed this error:

XPM support is missing. It is required for color icons in the toolbar.
Install libXpm development files or use --without-xpm
Important libraries are missing. Fix these issues before running make.

I investigated further and found two things:

1. When compiling on Windows simx.h is included by xpm.h but simx.h is not included in the source package. It is not needed to compile libxmp itself but when compiling emacs with xpm support it is needed.

After including simx.h in the include path, the config log shows this:

In file included from junk.c:2:
D:/devel/emacs/libXpm-3.5.7/include/X11/xpm.h:320: error: syntax error before "extern"
junk.c:3: error: syntax error before "main"
The failed program was:
#define FOR_MSW 1
#include "X11/xpm.h"
main (){}

2. The version of xpm.h included in the libxpm-3.5.7-w32-src package (v1.2) contains _XFUNCPROTOBEGIN and _XFUNCPROTOEND. However, these macros are not defined anywhere, that's why configure fails.

xpm.h v1.3, which I got from the libxpm source package from the GnuWin32 website, does not contain the _XFUNCPROTOBEGIN/END macros but explicitely uses

#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C" {
#endif

and

#ifdef __cplusplus
} /* for C++ V2.0 */
#endif

With this version 1.3 of xpm.h configure works fine without any other dependencies. BTW, these are the only differences between v1.2 and v1.3 of xpm.h.

So, I am wondering, would it be possible to

a) include simx.h in the libxpm package provided at http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/?
b) upgrade xpm.h to v1.3?

Thanks,
Christoph