Re: Emacs-23 release branch

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Emacs-23 release branch
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 23:19:00 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> > In case it wasn't clear, I meant _without_ checking out the branch.
>>
>> I think your best bet is
>>
>> bzr missing --mine-only sftp://bzr.sv.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-23
>
> Doesn't seem to work:
>
>   address@hidden:~/bzr/emacs/trunk$ bzr missing --mine-only
> sftp://address@hidden/srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-23
>   This branch is up to date.

Did you `bzr update' your local mirror first? Maybe `bzr missing' does
not work with bound branches.

My trunk mirror is not bound, and after a `bzr pull' the `bzr missing'
method above shows that the oldest revision that the emacs-23 branch is
missing is

revno: 99635 [merge]
committer: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
branch nick: trunk
timestamp: Wed 2010-03-10 00:18:51 -0500
message:
  Merge pending branch

which means that the branch was created from revision 99634.

> Can't "bzr log" help here?  It should show branches, right?

No. Branching is copying the full history. You get a clone of the
original branch (actually, there is a `clone' bzr command that is
synonymous of `branch') The original branch does not reflect that a
clone was spawned, nor the cloned branch remembers the tip revision.

>> However, as we are using the dumb http/sftp server, there is no
>> guarantee that the amount of data needed for the operation above is
>> significantly less than the data needed for checking out the emacs-23
>> branch.
>
> I don't want to check-out every branch whose branch point I'd like to
> know.

That's reasonable.