Re: Emacs-23 release branch

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Emacs-23 release branch
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 09:28:31 -0600

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 17:02:14 +0100 Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:

MA> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>>> D'accord. D-Bus is designed for inter process communication, like
>>> Corba. Maybe we could introduce a subdirectory "lisp/ipc".
>>
>> Can you find enough .el files to put in there to justify the creation of
>> this directory?

MA> battery.el, comint.el, proced.el, server.el, net/dbus.el, net/socks.el,
MA> net/xesam.el, net/zeroconf.el.

MA> Maybe also epa*.el, epg*.el, pgg*.el, talk.el, net/imap.el, net/ldap.el.

MA> I would also like to see password-cache.el and gnus/auth-sorce.el there,
MA> but they don't fit any of the selection criteria ...

MA> I plan soap.el, but this could also go into lisp/net when it is ready.

This actually ties into the recent package.el discussions.  Ideally all
these directories would not matter to the user, who would just install a
package from a category.  So perhaps the taxonomy work should not aim to
reorganize the directory structure (though that could happen too) but to
create a category structure useful to the end user.  All the reference
tools within Emacs can then use this structure as well.

In this light, creating one category per package is not as onerous as
creating one directory per package, so I think we can have more useful
and varied categories.

I also propose that we treat categorizing packages and creating a useful
package taxonomy as a process, like code review and bug fixes.  It
should be done both as a periodic review and every time new packages are
introduced.

Ted