Re: Next pretest, and branching plans

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Next pretest, and branching plans
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 00:14:29 -0400

> Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 18:29:17 -0600
> From: Christoph <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> >> - added an option "--distfiles [path to file, for example libXpm.dll]"
> >> to configure.bat.
> >>
> > That's gratuitous, I think: modern Windows shells are powerful enough
> > to let you write a FOR loop looking for libXpm.dll along PATH.
> >
> This assumes that libXpm.dll is actually somwhere on the PATH, which it
> might or might not be (and I might not put it on the path).

If it's not on PATH, it's in the directory where you have the Emacs
binary.

> I think  the
> command line option for configure.bat is way more flexible for one's
> individual build environment

Yes, but flexibility comes at a price: one needs _always_ to type that
argument.  Why impose this inconvenience on the user?

> >> Also, is there any way to get the version number from a file contained
> >> in the source tar ball? Then make dist would always output a zip file
> >> properly named according to the current version.
> >>
> > Again, one of the variants of the FOR command should do the trick.
> >
> Could you elaborate on this solution? Thanks!

Type "for /?" from the cmd prompt, and read there, especially about
"for /f".  It's too long to post that info here.

> PS: As for the "powerful Windows shells"...not before Windows 7 (or
> Vista?) with Powershell did Windows ever have a powerful shell... ;)

I was talking about cmd, not about Powershell.