Re: AW: delete-selection-mode

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: AW: delete-selection-mode
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:41:19 +0900

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
> If they offer real, fast and powerful refactoring, code navigation and
> other goodies, then the way to compete with them is to add powerful
> refactoring, code navigation and other goodies to Emacs.  If we make
> Emacs the same as them, only worse, that won't help us.

Yes, I agree with this.

Looking at questions by Emacs noobs (e.g. on #emacs), people by and
large _don't_ seem to ask "how do I make the little thing exactly the
same as X" -- they generally seem to understand that Emacs is a bit
different, and are prepared (and often almost excited) to deal with
that.  What gets asked much more often is "How do I make Emacs do
<whizzy IDE feature Z>?"

-Miles

--
The car has become... an article of dress without which we feel uncertain,
unclad, and incomplete.  [Marshall McLuhan, Understanding Media, 1964]