RE: delete-selection-mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: delete-selection-mode
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 00:43:24 -0700

> > 1. Other things being equal, inconsistency between mouse
> > and keyboard wrt the region is bad (yes, it's already bad that
> > we have some such inconsistency, IMO).
>
> There is no inconsistency.  Commands that set a _region_ set an active
> region.  Commands that are supposed to set the mark without activating
> it, set the mark without activating it.  All newcomer mouse and key
> sequences belong to "set the region" and activate it.

All commands that set the mark "set" the region (whatever setting the region
might mean). The mark's position defines one end of the region.

It's not just about newcomer vs oldcomer. d-s-mode (complete, not partial or
modified) is useful for all kinds of users.

> > 2. t-m-mode as the default has already been decided.
>
> Before we had shift-selection mode, and mouse-selections autoactivated
> the region.

And I was against adding those, because they introduce exceptional behavior
(inconsistencies, IMO), as does DEL for a mouse selection.

I was never in favor of the halfway measure of trying to make mouse selection
act somewhat like what outside users are used to, without going all the way to
`delete-selection-mode'.