Re: next emacs version?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: next emacs version?
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 15:10:47 -0400

>> checking (string-match directory-listing-before-filename-regexp
>> <wellcraftedteststring>) might work at least as well for
>> the problem at hand.

> Ugh. It could be done, but as I said earlier:

>>> FWIW, the regexp in question,
>>> `directory-listing-before-filename-regexp', is
>>> among the hairiest I've come across (have a look
>>> - quite amusing), and I don't think it's a good idea to
>>> try to test against that value.

The test I propose above is not to test the value of
directory-listing-before-filename-regexp but its behavior.
Basically: figure out the bug that the change was intended to fix, and
then use the thing that triggered the bug as the string to pass to
string-match (presumably the match will succeed in one case and fail in
the other).

        Stefan