Re: scroll-top-bottom

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: scroll-top-bottom
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 15:38:12 -0400

>>> The pc-select-override-scroll-error feature is something more.
>> I think it should be moved to simple.el since it is not directly related
>> to pc-select and is useful globally outside of pc-select.
> This feature is implemented by CUA mode, but it would be very useful
> for users who don't use CUA.  To support it in the core, I've implemented
> a new user option `scroll-top-bottom' (that defines the scrolling behavior
> at the top/bottom of the buffer).

When scrolling by a page at a time, this makes sense, but when scrolling
only by a single line at a time, it's very odd for point to suddenly
jump several lines at a time.  So I think the behavior should be refined
so it doesn't just "move to BEGV or ZV" but instead "when scrolling by
N lines can't be done, move by N lines instead".

And yes, I think this would be better done at the Lisp level by
introducing new commands so it doesn't affect other code that calls
scroll-(up|down).

As for using it by default, I don't have a clear opinion on it yet.
It doesn't seem like a bad idea, but I haven't actually tried it.

        Stefan