Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 10:04:35 +0900

>     Let's make shift-selection and mouse-selection _identical_ with regard
>     to the outcome, with regard to visuals and semantics.
>
> That seems like a good idea to me.

_All_ types of visible selection should be the same, including t-m-m
(C-SPC + movement) selections, to the greatest extent possible.

Having multiple "types" of selection that are
sorta-the-same-but-sorta-different is just going to make Emacs harder to
use for everybody, and harder to learn for beginners.

If a beginner tries to use (superior) Emacs-style marking (t-m-m),
suddenly habits which seemed to work for them when using the mouse will
fail.  This is bad.

If an expert user wants to use DEL to delete a t-m-m region, that will
fail, for no good reason.  This is stupid.

Yeah, I know, mouse-selection is currently "special".   It shouldn't
be -- that was a bad decision.  Adding shift-selection to the mix just
makes things worse.

-Miles

--
The car has become... an article of dress without which we feel uncertain,
unclad, and incomplete.  [Marshall McLuhan, Understanding Media, 1964]