Re: kill-ring visualization

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: kill-ring visualization
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 16:17:19 -0400

> This requires implementing a new option in `completions-format'
> and let-binding it in `yank-browse'.

let-binding is not a good option, because if you use recursive
minibuffers, this let-binding can end up affecting unrelated completions.

Also, to tell you the truth, I'd want this format to be specified by the
completion table rather than by the code calling the completing-read.

> +          ((eq completions-format 'line)
> +           ;; One-line format
> +           (setq str (query-replace-descr str)))

But this will not just change the string displayed, but also the string
inserted by the yank.  We need to distinguish the two.

        Stefan