Re: MS-Windows build broken in Fmake_network_process

From: Christoph
Subject: Re: MS-Windows build broken in Fmake_network_process
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 16:28:13 -0600

On 3/27/2010 10:55 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
How is this not a concern anymore?  We didn't stop supporting
Windows 9X, did we?
Microsoft did. Why don't we? Are there plans on dropping support for these ancient OSs instead of kludging backwards compatibility into the system? I looked in the Windows source recently and I by the comments ("On Windows NT...") some of that code it pretty old. Now, that doesn't mean it doesn't work but I am just wondering if the entire Windows API hasn't evolved in areas that we could take advantage of. Also, I think the longer one waits the harder it will be if Micro$oft at some point moves on with its API in a way that breaks compatibility with non-supported OSs (which is basically anything older than Windows 2000 and probably soon to be XP).

Just curious,
Christoph