Re: Serious performance problem with process output on Mac OSX

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Serious performance problem with process output on Mac OSX
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:43:02 +0300

> One other thing I noticed which looking through the code is that the
> Nextstep port assigns a special value, `t', to frame-title-format, and
> processes it specially.  Is there any reason to do this?  If not, I
> think this should be removed; this looks like a misfeature to me, since
> it is not compatible with the variable as documented and can confuse
> other people's Lisp code.

Ah, OK -- this variable and value was checked for in the code I moved in my
patch, but I had no idea it was set specially by NS lisp code.  I'll look into
it.

>   Can you verify that
> this also fixes the performance problem reported in
> [http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=2056]?  I assume it's the
> same problem.

I looked at that and, while I get some slight choppiness, it doesn't seem to be
to the extent people are reporting there.  Am not sure how large a file one
needs -- I tried with a 1MB text file.  And I'm on 10.6.. mileage might be
different under 10.5 or 10.4.  This should be looked into, but it probably
relates to event loop stuff and would need some dedicated time to track down /
fix.

-Adrian