Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch.

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch.
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 13:15:56 +0200

A. Soare wrote:

I do not want to add widgets to an implementation based on another
idea , than that of a lisp function for all kinds of events: a lisp
function at the creation, a function when closing, switching, etc.

It isn't any "idea" as such, it is practicallity and user experience. For example, I tried having switching in elisp, but it is too slow (causes flicker) and there are race conditions between when the widget does the switching and when Emacs thinks the switch is done.

There is nothing in the current implementation that excludes lisp functions for switching, creation, e.t.c, but it doesn't give any advantages, just complications.

Also, creation may be by drag and drop from other frames. Due to the way Gtk+ implements this, and how Emacs lisp may interact with GUI callbacks, doing that in lisp isn't possible.

Having an idea may be good, but sometimes reality requires other ways.

        Jan D.