Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch.

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch.
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 16:40:57 +0100

Tobias C. Rittweiler wrote:

I've been following the discussion only cursorly, so please excuse any
ignorance on my part, but let me chime in with a real-life use case for
the 2nd variant:

In Common Lisp you can enter the debugger on a per thread basis. So at
the moment, every time an error is signaled in a thread, a new buffer
displaying a new debugger instance pops up

Now there may be existing ways to improve that situation, but I think
mode-specific tabs would fit really well: for each new error in a
thread, a new tab will be pushed onto the existing tab list of the
debugger window.

I don't think that in paricular is a strong a use case for juri's 2. relative to tabs-for-3rd-axis-for-window-splits as such (If you haven't been following the thread closely admittedly the distinction may be unclear):

Each new debugger instance buffer could be opened in a new window, a window that's just put in a tab split with the other debugger instance windows (which might need some window group management, yes).