Re: "Bzr for Emacs Devs" including upstream branches

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: "Bzr for Emacs Devs" including upstream branches
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 20:28:39 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> After some hunting around I tried:
>>
>> bzr branches sftp://address@hidden/srv/bzr/emacs/
>>
>> but this just started downloading something at 1K / second and never
>> got anywhere.
>
> Just be patient.  It takes a lot of time with a remote repository, but
> eventually you will get a list.

Last time I tried, long time ago, it required more than 5 minutes over
http. IIRC it does a lot of round trips so the nearer you are from the
server (on Internet distance) the faster it will work.

> And since new branches aren't added too frequently, this is a rarely
> used command, so its slowness is not too much of an annoyance.

Precisely, one of the reasons for using `bzr branches' is to check the
presence of new branches :-)

`bzr branches' is just a hack implemented on a plugin as a "best effort"
and it is quite expensive due to the limitations of using bzrlib (which
was not designed with that use on mind) over a dumb remote file access
protocol (sftp or, worse, http). It does not work with the smart server,
IIRC.