Re: Intermittent problem with unencodable-char-position

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: Intermittent problem with unencodable-char-position
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 00:38:57 -0400 (EDT)

+ Harald Hanche-Olsen <address@hidden>:

> Evaluating the form
>
> (unencodable-char-position 0 5 'iso-latin-1-unix 1 "100 Ω")
>
> normally returns the list (4), since capital Omega is not encodable in
> latin-1. However, after I have run emacs for a while, it happens that
> this form begins to return nil [*]. I have no idea what triggers this
> behaviour, [...]

Well, lo and behold, after sending the above mail I immediately
discovered how to trigger the problem: Sending mail does it.

I use mew and send through a TSL encrypted server; mew uses stunnel to
handle the encryption. I suppose it tweaks some global setting in the
process of doing the communication, but surely, that should not affect
the behaviour of unencodable-char-position? I have asked about this on
the mew mailing list too, but maybe this narrows it down enough to
give someone here an idea.

- Harald