Re: Embedding SQLite

From: Leo
Subject: Re: Embedding SQLite
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 10:33:39 +0100

On 2010-04-18 04:21 +0100, John Wiegley wrote:
>> I for one would definitely like some SQLite support in Emacs.
>
> I'm very in favor of this too, but it creates a new external
> dependency. Also, if we use dynamic loading and then a user doesn't
> have it, now they can't use a Lisp module -- something which has never
> been true before. Most modules will even work on DOS.

I have been using and sticking to an emacs-based personal information
system including calendar, org, bbdb, gnus etc and have experienced many
of its limitations. For example, syncing with other applications is a
real pain. The fact is if emacs fails to improve to meet users' needs,
they will migrate away from it. For example, by using Apple Mail for
emails, iCal for calendar and eventually leave emacs forever.

This SQLite dependency should not be treated like other dependencies. A
new PIM can be designed upon it and make emacs appeal to every computer
user.

Leo