Re: The Gnus repository is switching to Git as of 2010-04-19

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: The Gnus repository is switching to Git as of 2010-04-19
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 08:29:10 -0500

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 08:03:40 -0500 Harry Putnam <address@hidden> wrote:

HP> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>> You can find out all the details at http://git.gnus.org/

HP> Not familiar with git, but it appears simple enough, and just
HP> downloaded the clone.  One thing I didn't see on the page above was
HP> any mention of `updating' as we used to do with cvs.

HP> So do we just always pull down a whole clone?

Cloning is a really small download, under 20 MB currently.  I installed
cgit (linked from the git.gnus.org page) so you can download a zip or
tgz snapshot of a particular branch or revision.

You don't need to clone every time to get an update.  To update, you do
a "git pull" usually but there's also "git merge" and "git reset"
depending on what you need.  As with Bazaar and other DVCSs, using Git
requires un-learning some CVS habits and learning some new ones...

Ted