Re: Lots and lots of symbols interned by calc

From: Leo
Subject: Re: Lots and lots of symbols interned by calc
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 20:14:23 +0100

On 2010-04-22 19:17 +0100, Chong Yidong wrote:
>> Those are menu entries.  I'm a bit surprised that they are interned, but
>> I don't think Calc does anything unusual in creating its menus.

Other packages also have this problem, for example, gnus and emacs-w3m.
Oddly not all menus have that problem. For example I created a
customised-user-menu for myself in init.el and non of those strings were
interned.

> Anyway, I don't see how such symbols can take up so much memory.  Maybe
> Leo can experiment to see if a session that does not run calc has the
> same problem.

>From my experience, it seems 100M is common. It goes up with time. I
don't know whether that's normal. But I have never seen the memory used
goes down. When I first fire up Emacs, it uses ~25M.

Leo