Re: bidi, auto-composition-mode [core dump]

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: bidi, auto-composition-mode [core dump]
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 18:13:56 +0200

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 10:05:30 +0200
From: Angelo Graziosi<address@hidden>
CC: address@hidden

OK. In my $HOME/.emacs.d/init.el file I have added this:

;; Use C-x 8 RET RIGHT-TO-LEFT MARK to write from right to left
(setq-default bidi-display-reordering t)

Then, in Emacs, I do this

C-x C-f foo.txt
C-x 8 RET RIGHT-TO-LEFT MARK

Thanks, now everything is clear.  Emacs composes the RIGHT-TO-LEFT
MARK (and other zero-width characters) with the next character, and
compositions don't yet work with bidi reordering.  The effect is
indeed duplication of characters.  You can see another example of this
problem in HELLO, in the Arabic and Hebrew lines -- they also use RLM.

Just now, I have discovered (with rev. 100032) that Emacs does not like any more this:

(setq-default bidi-display-reordering t)

in my initialization file: it aborts!

To reproduce: add the above to .emacs (or to .emacs.d/init.el) file; then 'short circuit' the desktop file, if any. For example renaming it:

mv desktop desktop.save

In this way Emacs should starts with the 'scratch' buffer.

Then

$ emacs &

aborts. If you want to use the desktop file, after Emacs is started, you should switch buffer up to the 'scratch', for example clicking with mouse-1 on buffer name in the mode line: then switching from 'Messages' buffer to scratch' causes Emacs to abort.

In short, Emacs does not like the above (setq...) in .emacs and the 'scratch' buffer.

I have verified this both on GNU/Linux Kubuntu 9.10 and on Cygwin.

Ciao,
Angelo.