A `mark-line' function

From: David House
Subject: A `mark-line' function
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 12:21:33 +0100

Hi,

I've written a mark-line function that behaves analogously to
mark-word, mark-paragraph etc. This has always seemed like a silly
omission to me.

Here are some examples (! indicates position of point, # indicates
position of mark):

Original text:
foo
bar
ba!z
quux

With M-x mark-line:
foo
bar
!baz#
quux

With C-u 2 M-x mark-line instead:
foo
bar
!baz
quux#

With C-u -1 M-x mark-line instead:
foo
#bar
!baz
quux

It is in fact exactly the source of mark-paragraph using forward-line
and previous-line instead of forward-paragraph and backward-paragraph
respectively.

I have attached two patches; one contains the definition of the
function and the other the binding (M-n), in case it is decided that a
binding isn't wished for, or a different binding would be better. The
patches are in "git diff" format. I realise this probably isn't the
right format for them to be in but I was unsure about what exactly is
needed. If it would be helpful to have the patches in an alternative
format please let me know.

I look forward to your feedback. Thanks,
-David