Re: dropped 4th arg from all-completions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: dropped 4th arg from all-completions
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 14:12:02 -0400

> I object to Emacs 23.2 dropping the 4th arg from `all-completions'.

My 23.2 code shows all-completions accepts 4 args.
Heck, even the 24 branch still accepts 4 args.

> I do not understand why the feature of ignoring candidates that start
> with a space was removed.

It doesn't have its place in `all-completions' (which is an internal
function, and hence not directly related to any UI feature).

> FWIW, I use this 4th arg.  I even have a user option and a minibuffer
> toggle key that lets users control the removal of such candidates.
> If you don't want to use the feature, that's one thing, but why remove
> it from Emacs?

You can get the same result by changing the completion table instead, or
by changing the `predicate'.  These approaches also have the advantage
of being a lot more flexible.

        Stefan