Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 12:17:05 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> In general, I believe the visual-mode movement is useful only to
> people who don't really read the bidirectional text they traverse with
> the cursor-motion keys.

I almost never use a single left/right cursor-motion keypress.  And when
I traverse material with the cursor-motion keys, I don't read it _while_
traversing.  I get glimpses, like when using autorepeat with
scroll-up/scroll-down.  My autorepeat rate is about 20 characters per
second.  At that speed, I can't really follow forward/backward jumps.

So no, I "don't really read the bidirectional text I traverse with the
cursor-motion keys", and I want to see a single person either claim that
she presses the cursor key once for every character she reads, or that
she reads text exactly at autorepeat speed, including jumping backwards
and forwards in mixed L2R/R2L text.

My usage patterns for C-f/C-b use less autorepeat.  Don't ask me why.

--
David Kastrup