Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 00:08:39 +0300

> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 22:26:29 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I can now see the argument better for not letting the arrow keys move
> visually, but I think I still disagree on that part. The reason I
> disagree is the same as I stated from the beginning and that was
> explained on the web page that said READING IS NOT CURSORING. Moving
> the cursor depends on lower level memory in our brains.

Yes, but us users of R2L scripts have that memory augmented, so we
don't have problem with the current behavior.

>  And of course: without letting the arrow keys move visually on the
> screen there is no easy way at all to move visually on the screen.

I see nothing non-easy with logical-order motion.

> This is actually a bit fun. Try creating with only blanks, just
> spaces, tabs and newlines. Set some of the those chars to arabic and
> let some be latin. Now try moving around the page using only the
> visual keys. Try to go to the end of the page. (I suggest this as an
> alternative to sudoku...)

You can mock it as much as you want, but users of R2L scripts do this
every day, and have no problem at all.

Anyway, we are beginning to repeat ourselves.  It's clear we disagree,
so let's leave it at that.