Re: Window configurations

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Window configurations
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 00:55:44 +0200

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:38 PM, Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I see no such problems for `view-return-to-alist', so maybe it won't
>>> a problem for other buffers too.
>>
>> It does not have problems because you do it via `View-quit', hence the
>> window is probably still the same window showing the same buffer.  If
>> you switch to another buffer in an earlier popped up help window, then
>> having a later `unbury-buffer' delete that window might be surprising.
>
> I'm not sure this will be surprising because it will delete the window
> when the Help buffer is displayed in it, not with some other buffer.
> So when I see the Help buffer and type `q', I expect that it will delete
> that window.

Yes, if helped opened it.

But not if help was just displayed in that window. Then I expect q to
remove help and show what was there before.

I simply expect q to restore the state if it is possible.

However on thing that has disturbed me is that for example window
configurations are restored after I have made changes to the temporary
window configuration. That does not seem useful (except in the case of
debugging which is very different).