Re: Confusing completion for buffer names

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Confusing completion for buffer names
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 19:47:46 -0400

    > If there is no buffer name starting with `*l', I want it to say
    > `[No match]' -- not give me `*mail*'.

    One way to do that would be to have read-buffer change
    `completion-styles'.  E.g. it could replace partial-completion by
    substring (which I think is also more useful for buffer completion).

That would do the job.  However, I think the general change I proposed
is better.  It is, "If a * can be interpreted as a literal match,
interpret it that way.  Otherwise it can be the special completion feature."