Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 19:55:47 +0300

> From: David Engster <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:11:41 +0200
>
> As far as I understood from this thread, neither Eli's nor Lennart's
> patches will be able to fix this, since this is a result of the
> basic design of the display engine.

That's not true.  The only thing that's basic in the design is that
Emacs always consumes all input events before it enters redisplay.
But if you set scroll-conservatively to a large number, the worst that
should happen to you is that Emacs seemingly stops responding when you
lean on the <down> key.  Once you release the key, you still should
see the cursor on the last screen line (if the last screen line is not
fully visible, it is okay to see the cursor on the next-to-last
line).  That's it; you should never see the cursor in the middle of
the screen -- that is a bug (or maybe misfeature).

In the last few days I fixed a couple of bugs that caused incorrect
recentering; evidently there are more bugs lurking there.  I will try
to hunt them down.  Unfortunately, I cannot easily reproduce these
problems on my machine, probably because it's faster than yours, which
doesn't make the job easier.