Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Sean Sieger
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 11:43:30 -0400

    I did usability studies for this exact terminology a few years ago so my
    proposal comes from testing experience and was much less confusing to
    our users.

Uh-huh.  I meant to only report _my_ experience of that language.  Not
others, and certainly not the interpretation of a group of others
experience.  There is a gap that disappears altogether with something
like create-window-on-the-left, -bottom and so on (I think Eli named 'em
pretty well the other day).

I've said, I can tolerate my world ... perception ... being turned
upside down and my mind keeping up with it:

This afternoon a lighting director facing me will say to me, ``Make the
left cut (holding out her right hand) here,'' and I will instinctively
reach for the shutter on the right side on an ellipsoidal lighting
fixture and push it left through the beam of light while the result will
be for the light beam outside of the instrument to be narrowed from the
left.

The gap between denomination and mechanism is as narrow and functional
as it can be.

I won't repeat how my mind processes the current language used to name a
function that creates new windows, let alone how proposed language names
... narrows the gap between the name of the function and the resulting
new window.

I just doesn't make sense to me to argue the point.  And new users??
What a phantom.  Shoot.  At least we agree on the abysmal nature of
language.