Re: Efforts to attract more users?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Efforts to attract more users?
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 22:30:23 +0200

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 10:15 PM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:
>>> What are the units in the vertical direction?
>> 1.0 is the mean of the period
>
> So units are a ratio w.r.t all the searches.  Is there a way to know the
> actual number of searches to which this corresponds?  This way we could
> tell whether the number of searches is also going down (since it might
> still be going up if the ratio is going down slower than the total
> number of searches increases).

Seems like google does not want to display the absolute numbers:

 http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2008/06/google-trends-with-numbers.html

It also looks like Emacs is loosing ground to vim:

 http://www.google.com/trends?q=emacs,vim&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

Adding "eclipse" to the search shows that Eclipse is going up and that
both vim and emacs are searched for much less ....

Though the sun seems to be included in the eclipse searches. ;-)