Re: The copyright issue

From: rogers-emacs
Subject: Re: The copyright issue
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 19:52:31 -0400

   From: Uday S Reddy <address@hidden>
   Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 21:31:22 +0100

   address@hidden writes:

   > The copyright issue is not about freedom, but about control.  The FSF
   > has sensibly decided not to accept contributions it does not own, lest
   > the owner attempt to revoke permission to use them at a later date.

   Permission?  For what?

   GPL software can be freely copied, modified, and redistributed.  There
   is no way to restrain anybody from doing it.  So, I am not sure what
   permission you are thinking of.

   Cheers,
   Uday

If it is indeed GPL software.  IIRC, somebody once contributed code that
his employer later claimed was not his to contribute.  Having clear
ownership avoids such hassles.  At the very least, the contributor must
claim to be the owner; if that's not true, it's not the FSF's fault.

                                        -- Bob