Re: Selection changes in revno 100822

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Selection changes in revno 100822
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 13:48:01 +0100

On 15/08/10 11:25, Jan Djärv wrote:

Eli Zaretskii skrev 2010-08-15 11.27:

I must say that once mouse-2 is no longer a synonym to "yank" it
became a tad harder to explain what one means. Is there a widely
accepted term for what mouse-2 does in this context? The spec
everybody seem to quote still calls this "paste", so if there's no
better term, we will have to get used to saying "paste from PRIMARY",
"paste from CLIPBOARD", etc. And, of course, there's the
Emacs-specific gripe that only one of them is no a synonym to "yank".

"Paste the current selection" perhaps? It is not technically correct, a
program can set PRIMARY without using selections, but it is close enough.

At the GUI level, "Paste Selection" vs. "Paste" is used in xfce4-terminal [1].

In a kde app that mentions it (klipper, kde's clipboard history and munging daemon) primary is referred to as "selection" [2] (aside: note how klipper provides another option for x11 users who don't like the separate clipboard and primary, you can choose to have it sync them desktop-wide.)

"Yank Selection" vs. "Yank" might be consistent with a s/paste/yank/g approach.

The emacs menu already says "Cut/Copy/Paste" for kill/kill-ring-save/yank, so a "Paste Selection" could perhaps also be fitted in just below "Paste" like in the xfce4-terminal example.

Of course we have one instance of "yank-primary" at the elisp level in mouse-yank-primary.

[1] http://imgur.com/H2b1m.png
[2] http://imgur.com/omaek.png